Welcome!! 15septemberarts is now Georgia Florida Studio! I am excited about the change. This is a place where I display my work and experiences. I am a self taught quilt maker and painter. I am always exploring new means of expression. Glad that you have stopped by.
I have had this QAYG (quilt as you go) piece started for a long time. I had a basket of scraps that I would dive into from time to time and do a row or two. It really never grew any bigger than about 7-8 inches. I decided I would finish it off with a different technique. MORE McTavishing!!!! on a large neutral border.
Well, when I did the FMQ on the border, it shrank more than the middle, so the middle was kinda, well,,,, puffy...Hmmmm... ok, I will do some stuffing, like trumputo in that part. It worked out fairly well.
I layered the top and the back of the pillow wrong sides together, basted it. then bound it like a quilt. It measures 15" square
After piecing this, I was in a quandary. How shall I quilt this piece. I had been practicing some McTavishing on my Vintage Singer 237. Was it time to try it on a "real" project? Guess so.
Update. I have had several comments regarding McTavishing. It is named for its creator Karen McTavish, award winning quilter and author. http://www.designerquilts.com/about.html
I am pleased to have this project featured by Pam from:
I did my version of McTavishing in 2 quadrants and alternating squiggly lines in the other 2.
quadrant was quilted with a single piece of (top) thread. Except, of
course some of it was cut off in the squaring and resizing process. ;).
also debated about how to finish the pillow cover. When I finished the
piecing and took it to show and tell at the Tampa Modern Quilt Guild, I
felt it was, well, boring. So, I began to think how to finish it off to
have a nice accent. I like to use orange for my accent but I was
thinking in another direction on this one.
I found some fabulous green
and light grey by Art Gallery Fabrics at my fabulous LQS, Crafty Threads
http://www.craftythreads.com/ and decided on a 1/4 inch piping.
That is a shadow in the lower right, oops.
I will take some other pictures soon when it is stuffed with a pillow form. Please leave me a comment to let me know that you have stopped by.
With all of its orangey, lemony and limey goodness, the Citrus Sunshine Quilt is finally complete. The binding is a small, sort of animal print that is orange and yellow. The backing is a green background with multicolored polka dots.
It has some random piecing in a strip near the top.
Measures 30 x 43 inches. Perfect size for an infant or small child.
Now, does any one have a little one who would LOVE this??
Started, or restarted a new pillow cover. I have had scraps that I have been piecing together for a while. Finally, I decided to use them for a pillow cover. An entire quilt of tiny scraps just seemed a bit much. I took some Kona Coal that would be the main part of the pillow. I pieced a strip of about 24" long of grey and blue scraps. The original width of the scrap strip was about 2.75". I then sliced it in half.
The original plan was just to cut out a square for the pillow cover, slice it diagonally, sew the strip in and then repeat. That looked a bit plain. So, I pulled out some Kona Ash and attached a 1 inch wide piece to each side of the strip. That seemed to work better.
The strip on the bottom is tucked underneath the 2 cut pieces of the square. The top strip is just laid over the other, thus the difference in the width.
I am toying around with several different ideas for the quilting. May combine some free motion with straight line, walking foot quilting in different sections. Please let me know what you think.